Skip to main content

Rest for the people of God




There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. Hebrews 4:9

Sitting at home and listening to the rain pouring down, the winds howling and the thunder blasting, seeing the lighting crack the dark skies, I am reminded of the state of my heart. Trouble, rumblings, worries, decisions... my storm raging inside a worse picture of that outside my window. Then a word drops in my heart ... "there remaineth a rest". And I am reminded, that there is more to life than worries and sorrows, there is more than excitement and motion, sometimes in focusing on 'doing' we loose sight of who God has called us to 'be'.


There may be situations of conflict, turmoil, storms raging within and without... but this promise we have from God, that 'there is a rest for the the people of God'. 


This rest is provided for us by God and we choose to enter it... a place of ceasing from all our 'works', from 'doing'; a place of transition to that state of 'being' ... 'being' at rest. 


At rest in His will, at rest in his plans, truly trusting though we cannot see what lies ahead.

Knowing that the future is His and his plans for us are always good. It's not over until God says so. 

Let's cease from striving, the results are fickle and temporal. Move into the place of His rest, abide in the peace He gives.

Live, Move and Be at rest for there remains a rest for the people of God.

And in the words of my dear devotional...

There is no music during a musical rest, but the rest is part of the making of the music. In the melody of our life, the music is separated here and there by rests. During those rests, we foolishly believe we have come to the end of the song. God sends us time of forced leisure by allowing sickness, disappointed plans, and frustrated efforts. He brings a sudden pause in the choral hymns of our lives, and we lament that our voices must be silent. We grieve that our part is missing in the music that continually rises to the ear of our Creator. Yet how does a musician read the rest? He counts the break with unwavering precision and plays his next note with confidence, as if no pause were ever there.
God does not write the music of our lives without a plan. Our part is to learn the tune and not be discouraged during the rests. They are not to be slurred over or omitted, nor used to destroy the melody or to change the key. If we will only look up, God Himself will count the time for us. With our eyes on Him, our next note will be full and clear. If we sorrowfully say to ourselves, "There is no music in a rest," let us not forget that the rest is part of the making of the music. The process is often slow and painful in this life, yet how patiently God works to teach us! And how long He waits for us to learn the lesson!
--John Ruskin
From Streams in the Desert 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Stock

"And blessed  is  she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord." Luke 1:45 (KJV) "Now therefore, O LORD God, the word that You have spoken concerning Your servant and his house, confirm it forever and do as You have spoken," 2 Samuel 7:25 (NASB) Has the Lord given you a word?  Has it been fulfilled?  Hold on to His word in faith until it is fulfilled.  Give Him praise for fulling his word in your life. Be thankful and bless his name until you see it come to pass.  Mary heard the angel speak to her and he informed her of things to come. She believed, and there was a performance of the words that were spoken. David heard the words of God spoken to him through God's prophet and revealed to him by prophecy. He believed and prayed for its fulfillment.  Many times we receive a word from God, through revelation or through prophecy. What do we do with these words? Let's hold on to them

DIRECTIONS

I've been thinking about the paths that i'm meant to take in the coming months. Decisions, directions; I've been planning and praying. I've tried to explain my decisions to close friends, but some times, they aren't on the same frequency with me. Don't get me wrong, their questions are borne out of genuine care and love; but I know what I've heard, I know what convictions I have, I'm certain about these decisions and I'll follow through with God's leading and stick to the plan. It might not make sense in the immediate, but with God, I trust that he will illuminate the path ahead of me.  And in concurrence with my situation, my devotional couldn't have said it better! STREAMS IN THE DESERT They were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the Word in Asia ( Acts 16:6 ). It is interesting to study the methods of His guidance as it was extended towards these early heralds of the Cross. It consisted largely in prohibitions, when they atte

Still Dreaming?

There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish ... (Philippians 1: 6 MSG) Reminiscing, I wonder what happened to my dreams. The good old days when I thought anything and everything was possible? Once I wanted to do the impossible, be the best, stand out from the rest. Then life happened.... then I got so caught up in the day to day of life, I forgot about my dreams of grandeur. What happened? Why did I forget? I watched a movie a while ago and a child was saying "... children can see because they believe easier than adults." That point stuck in my mind. I remember when the Law was my dream, practice was what I lived for... it happened, and then I wanted more ... Last week I had a rude awakening. Two episodes reminded me of the possibilities I had dreamed up.  I sat in a flight next to a freshman and she was so full of excitement about the possibilities schoo