Skip to main content

Song Alert: Kind - Amanda Cook

"For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly." (Psalm 84:11)

"The LORD is gracious and merciful; Slow to anger and great in lovingkindness." (Psalm 145:8) NASB

"The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy." (Psalm 103:8)

"Then the LORD passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth;" (Exodus 34:6)


I've been thinking for a few years about doing blog posts on songs that I'm listening to at a particular time; songs that have ministered to me in a particular season and helped me walk through some though times - but it's just been a thought.  Today, I decided to start that first blog post on these songs. For lack of creativity or bursting ingenuity, I'll call these posts 'Song Alert'.

So today's focus is on Amanda Cook's 'Kind'.

It has a smooth reassuring rhythm, sort of melancholic but calm. The words strike your heart and drives doubt away. Its reassuring to repeat these words to a doubting heart. Speaking the truth over fears and calming raging storms in our hearts ... at least that's what the song did for me. It made me look up the word 'kind' in the dictionary, here's what I found...

Kind:  'generous, helpful, and thinking about other people's feelings'; 'caring about others; gentle, friendly and generous'; 'of a good or benevolent nature or disposition, as a person: a kind and loving person. 2. having, showing, or proceeding from benevolence: kind words. 3. indulgent, considerate, or helpful; humane (often followed by to)4. mild; gentle; clement. 5. British Dialect. loving; affectionate.
See how many times the word generous shows up? It surprised me that this is a characteristic of God, and that He is able and willing to be generous towards me. I have since scaled that fence where I think of God's generousity only in terms of physical and material wealth. I see God's generousity in every area of my life, from walking with him, to the wealth of relationships I have been blessed with ... and the list goes on.

Listening to this song, made me reflect on this characteristic of God - the fact that He is kind, and as His children, he has called us to be like him - Kind. Galatians 5:22 lists the fruits of the spirit and one of them is Kindness. We no longer place an emphasis on this, but kindness should be reflected in our relationships with each other. From the person who sits beside you in church, to the person who cuts the line ahead of you in traffic - we should exhibit the fruit of the Spirit. I acknowledge that it is not an easy fruit to develop ... but if God has shown us His kindness daily, we can, like him, express this towards others... following the leading of our Master. 2 Peter 1:7 tell us how to develop as Christians and also asks us to add kindness to godliness and love to our kindness.

Ellicott's Commentary explains this verse further
"In other words, your godliness must not be selfish and solitary, but social and Christian; for he who loveth God must love his brother also (1John 4:20-21). And though "charity begins at home" with "them who are of the household of faith," it must not end there, but reach out to all men, whether Christians or not."
Matthew Henry's Commentary summarizes our responsibility nicely.
 "In Christ all fullness dwells, and pardon, peace, grace, and knowledge, and new principles, are thus given through the Holy Spirit. The promises to those who are partakers of a Divine nature, will cause us to inquire whether we are really renewed in the spirit of our minds; let us turn all these promises into prayers for the transforming and purifying grace of the Holy Spirit."
In a world that increasingly views kindness as a sign of weakness, God has called us to reflect his image and walk in kindness. Since God is kind to us and has called us to be kind to each other, we should appropriate this promise He has given to us as his children and walk in kindness, empowered by His Holy Spirit.

Finally, the words of the song (and hopefully a Youtube link that works :)
"Kind"

You are not a tyrant King
You do not delight in suffering
Your power doesn’t compensate for insecurity
‘Cause You are not a tyrant King

You are not an angry man
You do not treat us with contempt
Your voice is sure, Your eyes are soft, Your smile, confident
‘Cause You are not an angry man

You are kind
You are kind
You are kind
You are kind

Your love is a fury all its own
Sweeping the dust and turning feet towards home
Carrying the orphans and resetting broken bones
Your love is a fury all its own

And love is powerful enough
Without the fear of punishment



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Stock

"And blessed  is  she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord." Luke 1:45 (KJV) "Now therefore, O LORD God, the word that You have spoken concerning Your servant and his house, confirm it forever and do as You have spoken," 2 Samuel 7:25 (NASB) Has the Lord given you a word?  Has it been fulfilled?  Hold on to His word in faith until it is fulfilled.  Give Him praise for fulling his word in your life. Be thankful and bless his name until you see it come to pass.  Mary heard the angel speak to her and he informed her of things to come. She believed, and there was a performance of the words that were spoken. David heard the words of God spoken to him through God's prophet and revealed to him by prophecy. He believed and prayed for its fulfillment.  Many times we receive a word from God, through revelation or through prophecy. What do we do with these words? Let's hold on to them

DIRECTIONS

I've been thinking about the paths that i'm meant to take in the coming months. Decisions, directions; I've been planning and praying. I've tried to explain my decisions to close friends, but some times, they aren't on the same frequency with me. Don't get me wrong, their questions are borne out of genuine care and love; but I know what I've heard, I know what convictions I have, I'm certain about these decisions and I'll follow through with God's leading and stick to the plan. It might not make sense in the immediate, but with God, I trust that he will illuminate the path ahead of me.  And in concurrence with my situation, my devotional couldn't have said it better! STREAMS IN THE DESERT They were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the Word in Asia ( Acts 16:6 ). It is interesting to study the methods of His guidance as it was extended towards these early heralds of the Cross. It consisted largely in prohibitions, when they atte

Still Dreaming?

There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish ... (Philippians 1: 6 MSG) Reminiscing, I wonder what happened to my dreams. The good old days when I thought anything and everything was possible? Once I wanted to do the impossible, be the best, stand out from the rest. Then life happened.... then I got so caught up in the day to day of life, I forgot about my dreams of grandeur. What happened? Why did I forget? I watched a movie a while ago and a child was saying "... children can see because they believe easier than adults." That point stuck in my mind. I remember when the Law was my dream, practice was what I lived for... it happened, and then I wanted more ... Last week I had a rude awakening. Two episodes reminded me of the possibilities I had dreamed up.  I sat in a flight next to a freshman and she was so full of excitement about the possibilities schoo